What’s new in IBM Cognos Controller 10.3x and 10.4
Main new topic from IBM Cognos Controller 10.3 is definitely Controller Web.
Controller Web is a web application designed for a reporting site user who needs to report for one or more subsidiaries into the group’s financial consolidation. Controller Web is installed together with the IBM Cognos Controller Rich client for the headquarter by example. All configuration and maintenance will be done from within the Cognos Controller rich client.
IBM’s designers team wanted to simplify and to clarify the visualization of the process for a reporting site. It’s an intuitive brand-new way to input data with a clear path until submission of their figures.
It allows the users:
- to fill in their data
- to fill in their intercompany data (and match them)
- to import data
- to input manual journals
- to reconcile their accounts
- to create easily some simple reports like ad hoc report (but you can save them)
- to validate the complete reporting site process at a glance
- to submit their data
It’s a new user interface and on top of that there are also some practical improvements as the possibility to:
- Directly open and correct an intercompany transaction, from the reconciliation IC report
- Directly open and correct a transaction from the Account reconciliation
- Report drilldown until the source account imported, which may be at a more granular level of detail
- Clear visualization of the deadlines
One remark, you can only use standard forms (not free forms).
It gives an intuitive way to enter your data and check the company status.
- From Controller 10.4 within Controller Web:
There are more and more administrator tasks included in Controller Web like:
- First screen when you log in into Controller Web, it’s the Command Center with submission details.
- Overview of all submissions at a glance.
- A consolidation might be run directly from Controller Web with a log report.
- Controller 10.3x brings some other improvements into Controller Classic (not Controller web):
- From IBM Cognos Controller 10.3.1, a new Excel link formula (cc.fGetValTrans) allows to restore the transaction amounts.
- Optimization might be batched.
- Improvement of Excel’s stability where before in case of …excel instability may have been experienced.
- Compliant with SQL 2016, Excel 2016 (32 and 64 bits), Safari
Planning analytics or planning analytics workspace might be directly linked to Controller which is included for free with a license of IBM Cognos Controller (only connected to IBM Cognos Controller database and not on cloud). The workspace provides a dynamic dashboard for the users.
TM1 web in the controller client start page is included directly in Controller itself. FAP allows to retrieve your data from Controller to Planning Analytics. Now, it’s possible to push back your data directly from Planning Analytics (ex-TM1 web) to Controller.
- From Controller 10.4 within Controller Classic:
- Users can now end their own disconnected session within the application or within excel.
- Actuality filtering on submission definition screen:
One extra field allows to filter by actuality within the submission window.
- Audit trail on period locking:
It allows to see who and when the period (un)locking was done.
- More rows on Company info:
Company info have 30 free fields instead of 20 free fields.
- New license report (users/ administrators):
You have one clear report showing the number of users/ administrators with the user code and names.
IBM continues to develop and to add nice functionalities. IBM Cognos Controller 10.4 sticks to the current interoperability environment on the markets (Windows, SQL, Excel, ...).
With Controller Web, IBM provides an intuitive way for a reporting site to enter, validate and submit their data. You can still use the previous classic input in Excel. It becomes mature interface dedicated for the users and for the consolidation manager from Controller 10.4.
The version itself has a better performance and stability (with excel). If you are using FAP (link between Cognos Controller and TM1, the minimum version of TM1 supported to make the link is TM1 10.2.2. We recommend to all IBM Cognos customers to upgrade to the version 10.4. We already implemented it several times without any blocking issues.